The first group of Brothers, nine in numbers, arrived in Manila in 1911 upon the invitation of the Archbishop of Manila to establish a college of standard. Paco was the original site of the Brothers’ first school, and later, in 1921, a new building was erected on the present site at Taft Avenue. From this modest beginning the pioneer effort of the first La Salle Brothers developed until at present. There are eighteen (18) District Schools and a number of La Salle supervised schools throughout the country.
The La Salle Brothers came to Bacolod City in response to the ardent invitation of the Negrense who felt a great need for the type of education the Brothers were offering. Through a ten - hectare donation of the late Mr. Alfredo Montelibano, Sr., La Salle - Bacolod came into existence.
In July 1952, with 189 graders ranging from Prep to Grade 5 and a teaching force of seven, La Salle College - Bacolod formally opened. Three of the faculty members were Bro. Dennis of Mary, Bro. Hugh Wester and Bro. V. Felix Masson and the fourth Brother, Bro. Gratian of Mary, joined in September of same year. The following year, grade 6 was added.
During the school year 1952 - 1953, the parents requested for the opening of the high school department. On February 9, 1952, cement footings were poured for the first high school wing.
Classes opened in 1953 with 24 freshmen, all males. At first, the Brothers accepted student - boarders, there were 56 of them under the supervision of Bro Gratian Murray. The present laboratory and lecture hall served as their sleeping quarters and study hall.
In its second year of operation La Salle had 453 boys in the three fledging departments.
School year 1977 -1978 marked the Silver Jubilee of the founding of La Salle - Bacolod. Numerous activities were scheduled to commemorate fittingly the foundation. In 1978 the Grade School received its PAASCU Accreditation, the High School received its Accreditation in 1980.
At the end of the school year 1984 - 85, the institution decided to place under one administration the elementary and secondary levels to compose basic education program for La Salle - Bacolod, thus the birth of the La Salle - Bacolod Integrated School.
The effort was a practical move since it was felt that the elementary and secondary levels should progressively and interruptedly form one continuum. Such move would be for the overall betterment of the students’ education.
Since 1986 La Salle has accepted as part of its clientele, Kinder and Prep Girls. It was not until 1987, however, that the Board of Trustees officially handed its decision to turn coed both the grade school and the high school. The inclusion of girls in the once exclusive school for boys has not drastically changed the school’s mission statement. The school’s objectives remain basically the same. However, changes have been made regarding the manner by which these objectives are attained. In a nutshell, the objectives can be summarized into: 1) wholistic development, 2) social awareness and involvement, 3) academic excellence, 4) concern for the poor, 5) love for one’s country and being a Filipino.
July 5, 1988 was another milestone for La Salle as it marked its elevation to university status.
The effort to attain university status was initiated in 1982 by Bro. President Rafael Donato, FSC. It was continued by his successor Bro. Victor Franco, FSC and was completed by Bro Rolando R. Dizon FSC.
The University of St. La Salle became the first institution to be elevated as a university after the EDSA revolution and also the only one under President Corazon Aquino’s administration.
In June 1994, a three-storey high school building was erected, totally separated from the college department.
In 1997, both Elementary and High School levels were granted 3rd reaccreditation status by PAASCU.
In 2002, both elementary and high school levels were granted 4th accreditation status by PAASCU.
On July 5, 2002, the University of St. La Salle celebrated its 50 years of existence in Negros with the theme, “Keeping Faith”.
After the retirement of Dr. Myrna Juplo in 2005, a new principal was appointed in the person of Mrs. Ma. Del Pilar M. Limas.
In School year 2007 - 2008, Br. Ray B. Suplido, FSC PhD became the 10th President of USLS.
In February 2008, Br. Felix Masson, FSC, one of the Founding Brothers of La Salle Bacolod passed away in California, USA. On August 3, 2008, the Papal Nuncio visited the University. The Integrated School was very much involved in welcoming the Papal Nuncio on this rare visit to the school.
On September 8-9, 2008, the PAASCU Resurvey Team visited the Integrated School. The school underwent the first Basic Education Accreditation. The school was granted a “clean” re-accredited status for a period of five years. This was an affirmation that the school has successfully accomplished its Vision - Mission for the school.
Over the years the Integrated School won several academic, cultural, sports and non - academic awards. The most prestigious of these commendations was the 2008 -2009 National Achievement Test among the 56 private and public secondary schools in the Division of Bacolod City. Batch 2010 - 2011 ranked Number One. The same rank was obtained by the school in the 2009 - 2010 and 2010 - 2011 National Achievement Test respectively.
School year 2011 - 2012, the Christian Brothers of the La Salle Schools celebrated their CENTENNIAL YEAR, ONE HUNDRED YEARS of Lasallian presence in the Philippines. The Integrated School actively participated in all the activities the whole year round.
In July 2012, the University of St. La Salle in Bacolod City celebrated its DIAMOND Jubilee with the theme, “Transforming Lives. Building Communities. Shaping Futures.”
On November 22, 2013, PAASCU granted the Integrated School another “clean” five-year re-accredited status.
In School Year 2014-2015, Ms. Doris H. Dumaran was appointed the new principal of the Integrated School succeeding Mrs. Ma. Del Pilar M. Limas.
As part of the Handumanan Week celebration, the groundbreaking of the future site of the Integrated School, the Alunan Campus in Brgy. Mandalagan was conducted on July 8, 2014.
In School Year 2015 – 2016, Br. Manuel “Mawel” R. Pajarillo, FSC PhD became the 11th President and Chancellor of the University. This year marked the 63rd founding anniversary of Lasallian presence in the Negros Island with the theme “Burn with the Brightest Flame”.
With Br. Mawel’s administration many changes were introduced in view of his Strategic Directionsincluding Spirituality and Sustainability, Creativity and Technology, and Internationality and Inclusion.
School year 2016-2017 was a remarkably glorious year for the Integrated School with all the exemplary performances and achievements of the students one after the other in almost all fields: academic competitions such as the Rotary Academic Excellence Contest and the Mathematic Association of the Philippines (MTAP); culture and the arts such as NOPSSCEA Literary-Musical and Dance fests; campus journalism in the division, regional and national levels; sports competitions and related events in the NOPSSCEA, provincial. Regional, and Palarong Pambansa; student leadership and community service through Rotary’s Boys and Girls Week with IS student leaders as Boy Mayor and Girl Vice Mayor, and the Search for Three Outstanding Students (THOS) and Three Outstanding Student Councils (TOSCA) awards, and student and faculty international benchmarking and leadership camps.
In School Year 2017-2018, the Integrated School welcomes more challenges with the 12thPresident/Chancellor of the University, Br. Joaquin Severino “Br. Kenneth” F. Martinez, FSC, DMin who takes the lead in the advancement of the university thrust this academic year: “Living out the Lasallian Values in our Educational Mission Today”.
In view of this, as a Catholic school, the Integrated School continues to be a Christ-centered basic education community rooted in the Gospel values and the charism of the Founder, St. John Baptist De La Salle. It commits to live the foundational values of “Faith, Zeal for Service and Communion in Mission “as it endeavors to ‘Teach Minds, Touch Hearts and Transform Lives” of the young entrusted to its care.