In 1946, an opportunity for the Brothers to set up a second La Salle school in the country came when then Bacolod City Mayor Alfredo Montelibano, Sr., offered them a ten-hectare lot (where the University 
stands today) for the purpose.

In 1952, La Salle-Bacolod was established through the guidance and efforts of the founding brothers, 
Br. Felix MassonFSC , Br. Hugh WesterFSC , and Br. Dennis Ruhland FSC, the first director of the school.

La Salle-Bacolod opened with 175 male students from Prep to Grade 5, under seven faculty members. 
The school building was unimpressive, built amidst sprawling muddy grounds and bordered by cain felds of adjoining lands. The following decade saw the expansion of La Salle from Grade School to College. This was made possible through pledges, donations, and fund drives actively supported by parents, alumni, and benefactors.

In 1966, the year the Doña Corazon Locsin Montelibano Chapel was built, La Salle-Bacolod opened its doors to the  first of female college students whose in uence on campus activities increased as more and more ladies enrolled in the once-male exclusive school

During the February Revolution of 1986, La Salle-Bacolod students did their share in conducting prayer rallies, symposia on issues, participating in street demonstrations and in the National Movement for Free Election chapters in the province and in the city.

From 1987-2003 the following major constructions were built on campus through externally funded grants/donations solicited by the office of the Brother President.

On July 5, 1988, the Institution was formally elevated to University status and christened University of St. La Salle. 

Today, the University o ers tertiary level programs for a population of more than 11,500 students in its basic and undergraduate programs. Around 400 students are enrolled in the University’s master’s and doctoral programs in various disciplines.